We weren't able to find this post. Please check out our other posts here.
View More

Published: undefined. 4, 2021

Updated: 6 months ago




There are a variety of reasons why you might be re

quired to complete a Self-Assessment return. This includes if you are self-employed, a company director, have an annual income over £100,000 and / or have income from savings, investment or property.

Taxpayers that are required to complete a Self-Assessment return for the first time should inform HMRC by 5 October following the end of the tax year for which a Self-Assessment return needs to be filed. Here’s an example:

Jane becomes a company director in June 2020. This means Jane needs to file a tax return for the 6 April 2020 - 5 April 2021 tax year because she became a director within that tax year. She must inform HMRC that she needs to register for self assessment by 5 October 2021.

If you have missed the deadline for the 2020-21 tax year please notify HMRC and register as soon as possible by calling 0300 200 3310. You should also ensure that you file your 2020-21 tax return and pay any tax due by 31 January 2022. Alternatively, call us on 0800 161 5435 and we will be happy to assist you.

In certain circumstances, HMRC may also ask taxpayers to complete tax returns. HMRC has an online tool www.gov.uk/check-if-you-need-tax-return/ that can help you check if you are required to submit a Self-Assessment return.

The list of taxpayers that are usually required to submit a Self-Assessment return includes:

  • The self-employed;

  • Taxpayers who had £2,500 or more in untaxed income;

  • Taxpayers who made profits from selling shares, a second home or other chargeable assets and need to pay Capital Gains Tax;

  • Those with savings or investment income of £10,000 or more before tax;

  • Company directors - unless it was for a non-profit organization (such as a charity) and you didn’t get any pay or benefits, like a company car;

  • Taxpayers whose income (or that of their partner’s) was over £50,000 and one of you claimed Child Benefit;

  • Taxpayers who had income from abroad that was taxable in the UK;

  • Taxpayers who lived abroad and had a UK income;

  • Income over £100,000


> All Categories (1)


Cutting Wood

Choosing Your Accountant

Feb 22, 2020